Tuesday, April 25, 2017

U2 Tour Diaries

During all these years collecting U2 itineraries, I have come across many other stuff related to U2 tours.  I have mentioned in the past things like tour riders or local itineraries but I never mentioned before the tour diaries.

A tour diary is a personal organiser that the management gives to the tour staff (or to part of them) so they can use it during the tour for planning their days on the road or just writing notes.

The thing is that I always thought there was only a tour diary, the one for Vertigo tour, but I recently discovered I was wrong....once again.

If you check the entry I wrote a long time ago for the The Joshua Tree European leg itinerary book (HERE) , you will see I was talking about the existence of two different versions of that book. One was the standard spiral bound version, and the other one was a leather cover version, similar to the one issued for the later Zooropa tour.



As I mentioned before, I was wrong. I recently knew that the leather cover version is not an itinerary book but a tour diary.  The leather cover comes with a Joshua Tree logo and the words U2, EUROPE, 1987, SUPERMICK and LIGHTS, all of them engraved in gold ink.


By checking the spiral bound itinerary of that european leg of the The Joshua Tree tour I knew that Supermick was the company that was in charge of the lighting system on that leg. I have only seen 2 copies of this diary and the two of them had the same cover, with the Supermick text on it, so we can assume that these diaries were only given to the staff working with the lights on this leg of the tour. If we check the itinerary book again, we see the list of Supermick people is very short, only 10 guys. This means that the number of copies of this The Joshua Tree diary might be very very limited.



I recently got a copy of this diary, still in its original packaging.












As it has already being said, there is another U2 tour diary which is way more easy to find. I'm talking about the one that was given away on the Vertigo tour.

It also comes in a black leather cover, with the U2 Vertigo 2005 tour logo embossed on the cover.




In this last picture you can see both diaries, so it gives you an idea of the size of them.





So, at the moment these are the only U2 tour diaries I have ever seen but if I see any other in the future i will off course update this entry.

RATING: 
The Joshua Tree Tour Diary : A+
Vertigo Tour Diary : C
Wanna know what this rating means? Just click HERE
The Collector




No comments:

Post a Comment